The patches that have strengthened, mended, and formed me.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Missionary Life

Newman Center Staff!
I am finally starting to adjust to being a missionary and fall outreach is almost over. I never fully understood exactly how much work goes into it. Here's some insight into my crazy schedule:

  • 8:30 am- Leave the house
  • 9 am- Team Rosary
  • 9:20-10:20- Holy Hour
  • 10:30-10:50-Team Meeting
  • 11-1pm - Table and Evangelization out on campus (I will explain what this is later)
    • Eat lunch somewhere on campus...this is a great opportunity to meet students
  • 1:30-3 or 4- Meet with students, make phone calls/texts to students, paperwork, plan events, or finish arranging bible studies (this is more work than you think)
  • 4-5 Work out at the Student Rec center
  • 5:20-6:20 Clean up for Mass
  • 6:30-7:15 Mass 
  • 7:30-? Hang out with students, throw or go to events, go out to eat, be on campus, etc.
  • 11pm- Hopefully be home....probably not. 
Of course my schedule isn't exactly like this every day, but it's pretty close. My schedule will change a lot once my Bible studies start. I plan on having them up and running next week. I have about 40-50 women who want to be in my studies! We'll see who actually commits, but I am entrusting the Lord by praying for these women every day. It is looking like I'll lead 4 studies total. I can't have studies on Wednesday night because that is our big Newman center night. Mass is at 6:30, Adoration follows, and then at 8 we feed all the students and have a big get together. That leaves Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday for Bible study! Friday is kind-of pointless because many students will go home for the weekends.

Our 1st Newman night was this past Wednesday. We had a great turnout and had lots of fun. I failed and forgot to take pictures, but it was awesome! After a beautiful Mass and time with Jesus in Adoration, we had a BBQ for the students. It allowed the students a chance to get to know us and each other. I am the ultimate party planner (or at least I think so) and hung Christmas lights from the ceiling of the room we were in, projected music videos onto a wall, had picnic blankets all over the floor, and placed chips and cookies in the middle of each one. The students LOVED it! It was like having a picnic under the stars, but way cooler. I even met some new students who are now interested in joining Bible study! yay! 

The Sun Devils had their 1st football game this Thursday (we won)! We kicked off the game with a  tailgate for students. Lots of people came and we had a great time. I also played a lot of corn hole. Its a really popular game. You pretty much just throw bean bags into a hole. It doesn't sound that fun, but it really is. 
Some students at our tailgate. I'm over by the water jug. lol
Table on the Mall is something else that we do to reach students. We have it every Tuesday and Thursday on campus. Basically we have a table out on campus that provides information about the Catholic center on campus and provides them information about FOCUS. Many students come up to us with questions, want to know when Mass is, or sign-up to join a Bible study. We also have a white board that we'll post a question on. It's a great conversation starter for students and it even gets them thinking about their faith and what they believe.
Katie (a student) and I at Table on the Mall!
Here are some pictures of other things I've been doing: 
My team!
Zach, Me, Matt, James, Sheena

Some students and I volunteered at a local food bank. We sacked pinto beans for needy families.
I know, I look really hot. 

Some students and I hiking! Hiking is no joke here. You literally climb up rocks.
Hiking view!

Me and some crazy girls dancing at Toby Keith's Bar and Grill
Being a missionary is a lot of fun, but it can be really scary too. Going out and evangelizing is terrifying. I have to go up to random people and invite them into a life of Christ. CRAZY! Not many people have this in their job description. Here are 2 of my stories so far: 

1. Emily: James (my teammate) and I were walking around and we notice a girl sitting by herself. Perfect. We approach her and tell her who we are and what we do. She doesn't seem too excited, which makes me a little nervous. She's not religious at all and grew up Jewish by culture. She can't remember the last time she's been to church. We start talking to her and asking her simple questions. She slowly begins opening up after we explain the love we feel from Jesus in our lives. She starts asking us questions and even asks where the Catholic church is on campus! Please pray she stops by!

2. Hunter: Same scenario as before. Hunter is a sophomore, he grew up Christian, and his family recently became Catholic, but he isn't...yet. He had already came to college when his family went through a conversion. He said he really never thinks about going to church or being involved in his faith. He said he just has better things to do. We asked him what he feels like once he leaves church and he said it's a good feeling, but that it doesn't compare to everything else that's going on. James and I both shared part of our testimonies with Hunter and presented him with the gospel. It was so awesome! As soon as we shared our personal walk with Christ, Hunter began to open up. He also asked where the Catholic church was and even got James' phone number. Please pray he starts to develop a relationship with Christ!

Your personal testimony is incredibly powerful. When you're doing the work of Christ, He is with you. The Holy Spirit totally gives you the right words to say. People can see how genuine and happy you are. EVERYONE wants to be happy. Everyone wants the joy that you can only receive from Christ Himself. I think this is what Emily and Hunter saw in James and I. People want to have a purpose in their lives. They want to be loved and to love, but so many of them don't know where or how to find it. I challenge all of you to be open about your faith, to love as Jesus does, and to share your walk with Him. Don't ever be afraid to help lead someone else to Christ because what if you actually do?  
Love, Anna







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I'm Anna. Jesus has transformed my life and I want to share His love with the world.
Powered by Blogger.

© Patches, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena