The patches that have strengthened, mended, and formed me.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

13 Books that Changed My Life


Reading is something I really enjoy. My mom has always said that she's worldly not because of how many places she's traveled, but by the type of books she's read. I have always loved this about my mom. I know that I can't afford to travel the world, but I can afford to buy books (many of these you can find at thrift stores for $1-$3).

Too many blogs/critics choice columns are recommending books that I have frankly really disliked. When I read, I want the book to be unique, funny, and one that makes me want to be a better person. I have decided to compose my very own list! Take it or leave it, but I love these books. I've left off many classics because I feel as if they are obviously good (To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Farenheight 451, Wuthering Heights, etc), so definitely read them.

My Top Books (in no particular order):


  1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
  2. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
  3. The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
  4. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
  5. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
  6. The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom
  7. I Believe in Love by Jean C. J. d'Elbee
  8. Rome Sweet Home by Scott and Kimberly Hahn
  9. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  10. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  11. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  12. The Giver by Laurel Leaf
  13. The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Walker
All of these books hold a special place in my heart and you honestly can't go wrong with any of them. I've re-read them many times and have learned many life lessons. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever been given is to always be reading. Always read something for pure enjoyment. It may be tough because you're in college or have children, but there is so much joy to be found in doing something to better yourself. 

Let me know what you think,
Anna

1 comments:

  1. Anna I love your blog! Also, I am glad you posted this. I finally took some time to read The Alchemist thanks to this post and it has given me a lot of food for thought. I hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I'm Anna. Jesus has transformed my life and I want to share His love with the world.
Powered by Blogger.

© Patches, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena