The patches that have strengthened, mended, and formed me.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

What it Means to be Human: A Catholic Response to Brittany Maynard


Today I am choosing to write about a controversial topic. I don’t often do this and I’m asking that you keep an open mind. 

Many of you have heard about Brittany Maynard who has a brain tumor and is choosing to end her life on November 1st by taking medication provided under Oregon’s death for dignity law. If you have not, please read her story

 I have no idea what kind-of pain Brittany is in right now. To know that she is dying at 29 is tragic, but with that being said, I do not agree with her decision. Many are saying that she is brave and honorable for taking control of her life. They are saying she’s kind and thoughtful for not putting her friends and family through the sadness of watching her die a slow and painful death. While all of this is very sad, I’d like to share a story of pain and suffering, but one also of immense joy. 


Blessed Chiara Badano died at age 19 after a two year battle with osteogenic sarconma, one of the most painful forms of bone cancer. When the doctors would go to treat her cancer, she would refuse any medicine to dull the pain. She welcomed the suffering and wanted to be fully aware of the pain because it brought her closer to Jesus’ suffering. Through difficult times, she would focus on the foresaken Christ.“It’s for you, Jesus; if you want it, I want it, too." When her hair fell out she’d say,“For you, Jesus." When she could no longer walk,“If I had to choose between walking again and going to heaven, I wouldn’t hesitate. I would choose heaven." When she was dying,“Don’t shed any tears for me. I’m going to Jesus. At my funeral, I don’t want people crying, but singing with all their hearts." For her funeral she wanted it to be her wedding:“When you’re getting me ready, Mum, you have to keep saying to yourself, ‘Chiara Luce is now seeing Jesus.’’ Friends and doctors of Chiara write of the joy she gave the world. They say she never stopped smiling through all the pain. 

The media is saying Brittany is brave, but I think she is a coward. True bravery is facing your problems, difficulties, and tragedies with joy, like Chiara. Joy that can only be found in Jesus Himself. I know that many non Christians and many Christians will disagree because it is difficult for our human nature to understand suffering and pain....and therefore, even accept it. Some say: “Why would Jesus want us to suffer?” He doesn’t, but He allows it to happen for us to achieve a greater union with Him.  "Then Jesus told his disciples, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it." Matthew 16:24-25 To be human is to experience suffering.

The word human is not a noun. It’s actually an adjective and this is a huge misunderstanding people have. As an adjective, it describes something. 

Some descriptions of a human could be: 
  • happy
  • sad
  • suffering
  • joyful

These descriptions are what MAKES us human. As a human, we are made up of these emotions, but it is how we handle these emotions that truly define who we are. If we refuse to accept suffering, we are always looking for the “quick fix” to take it away. By Brittany not embracing the human struggle, she is choosing not to be human anymore...through death. “What will make me happy now?” It’s a huge problem in our culture. True happiness is holiness...it’s not rooted in our emotions or feelings. Choose joy. Choose the light. 

Please join me in prayer for Brittany in her family. I know in her heart she believes she is making the right decision, but pray she rises above the temptation of an easy way out. I pray she joyfully accepts her suffering and pain for a greater good. Blessed Chiara Badano, join us in prayer and guide our prayers to our Lord. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're writing about this and I'm disappointed more Catholics aren't.

    I will have to say that while I think Blessed Chiara did an extraordinary thing in refusing pain meds, I certainly don't think that is for everyone. There is no shame in palliative care.

    Thank you for your courage in sharing this. I, too, blogged some ideas about it, but not from a specifically Catholic point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for furthering my proof that religion is the ultimate evil in this world. I thought that only God was supposed to judge people's choices, but apparently Catholics can do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,

    Thank you for your comment and I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression. I never judged Brittany, but shared my opinion. A judgment would be condemning her, which I never did. The worse thing I stated was calling her a coward by choosing to take her life ("The media is saying Brittany is brave, but I think she is a coward."). I know this is a controversial topic and one that should be talked about by all sides. The Catholic perspective is that all life is precious. By using Chiara's story I was stating that joy can be found in the midst of suffering....which is what I wanted Brittany to find.

    Again, I am sorry for whatever pain or hurt you may feel, but please do not judge all Catholics based on my blog. Catholicism is beautiful and I hope that one day you can see that.

    Have a great day,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quote from Andrea: "Thank you for furthering my proof that religion is the ultimate evil in this world."
    Actually, it's quite the opposite. God is love, and Catholicism is all about spreading God's love and truth that finds its source in the Bible, the Seven Sacraments, tradition and liturgy.

    "I thought that only God was supposed to judge people's choices, but apparently Catholics can do it too."
    Like Anna said in her response, she wasn't judging Brittany Maynard. Judging or condemning her would be saying that she's going to Hell or something along those lines, none of which Anna said. She was sharing the Catholic viewpoint on this important matter, and was in fact showing great love when she shared her beliefs. All life is sacred, and it breaks both Anna's and my own heart to see such a beautiful woman want to take away the most precious gift the Lord has given us. We don't have the right to take away anybody else's life- including our own.

    Like Anna touched on in her writings, we weren't made to live a carefree life without pain. As long as we live in this fallen world, we will always experience sadness, pain and hardship. The point of life is not to run away from this pain. It is to face it head on with the strength and love that can only come from God himself. As the famous quote goes, "Pain is God's microphone." It is through our sufferings that God is able to manifest his great glory and show the world his love. As in the story of Chiara, the Lord used her struggles to spread his love, peace and hope. It is only through hardship that God can really be glorified. If all is well, there would be nothing to prove. It's through horrible, seemingly hopeless situations that God shows how much he loves us and how we can rise above the hopelessness of this world like Chiara did. And what Anna was saying (and which I totally agree with) is that Brittany should instead follow the holy example set by Chiara rather than listening to the lies of the devil and this world that giving up is the way to go.

    Quote by Anna: "Again, I am sorry for whatever pain or hurt you may feel, but please do not judge all Catholics based on my blog."
    Actually Anna, I hope that people actually DO judge Catholics based on your blog because your blog is wonderful and you exemplify all what it means to be Catholic in every way. Thank you for your unending love for our faith. May God bless you now and always my sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you.
    frases de tristeza y dolor

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I'm Anna. Jesus has transformed my life and I want to share His love with the world.
Powered by Blogger.

© Patches, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena